[lug] Linux and Token Ring problems

Jason Packer/Boulder/Contr/IBM jpacker at us.ibm.com
Mon Sep 11 14:42:30 MDT 2000

Does anyone out there have any experience using Linux on a token ring
network?

Let me give you a notion of what is occuring:

Periodically, the machine loses all track of inet functions.  You can
telnet into it, you can't access any of it's samba shares.  If you go to
the console, all looks well with the world, but you've lost all outside
connectivity.  ifconfig tr0 down and then back up and you can telnet back
in, but you've still lost the ability to see the rest of the network from
that server.

This a.m., the machine stopped serving samba shares and when one of my
co-workers tried to telnet into it, the kernel panicked with a buffer
overflow related to tr0.

For reference, the system is an IBM PC704 server, quad pentium pro 200's, 1
gig of ram, 12x9 gig SCSI drives, arranged with one drive as the main
filesystem, five more RAIDed together for /home and the other six RAIDed
together as a storage directory shared out via Samba.  We're running RedHat
6.2, smp, pretty much as it sits out of the box.

Any clues?

Jason Packer - Computer Task Group
IBM Global Services
Business Partner System Education Coordinator
vox: (303) 924-3249 / pgr: (888) 393-7913
jpacker at us.ibm.com