[lug] Laptops again

Kyle Moore kmoore at trustamerica.com
Thu Sep 14 10:24:49 MDT 2000

Just last night there was an announcement on http://www.linuxtoday.com
about LinuxCare certifying some new IBM laptops. You can jump over to
their home page here (http://www.linuxcare.com/labs/certs/) and see what
IBMs, Dells and Tuxtops they tried out and how the installs went. I have
also heard pretty good things about the Sony VAIO's. I personally would
reward IBM for its support of Linux but that is up to you. That's why I
just ordered a Netfinity 4500R even though we are currently an HP shop.

As for preinstalled Linux...I only like it so I can see what modules
they used and stuff. I would always reinstall. I think IBM now has one
for sale and Tuxtops has some. Too bad VAlinux stopped selling theirs. I
still send them emails every now and then bugging them about it.

Gotchas: Check out http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/
for help on specific models. There is lots of great info here. I would
say the main gotcha is the internal modem. Lots of them seem to be
winmodems. I would just plan on getting a PCMCIA ethernet/modem. Sound
seems to be the other big gotcha but if you don't care about that it
isn't an issue.
--

----
Kyle Moore