[lug] OT - help w/SCSI disk on Marathon/UltraSPARC

Archer Sully archer at meer.net
Fri Sep 15 16:14:16 MDT 2000

Hi Y'all,

I was wondering if anyone out there with some Sun experience
could lend me a hand.  I am trying to add an IBM Ultrastar
18G SCSI/LVD drive to my Marathon w/Sun AXi motherboard, and
I'm trying to determine whether I'm doing something wrong
(most likely) or the drive is toast.

The bus appears to use a single ended cable (no twists), the
main disk is jumpered at 0, the CDROM is 6.  I had to use a
80<->68 pin converter to attach the new drive, which was put
in the chain between the system drive and the CDROM.  The new
drive is labelled "SCSI LVD", system drive "SCSI LVD/SE", and
it is also an IBM.

Nothing shows up in /devices when I boot up the system.  I did
notice that the new drive seems to be awfully hot, but the
magic smoke didn't get out.

Any helpful hints off-line would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Archer Sully