[lug] cvs tags

Tom Tromey tromey at cygnus.com
Sat Sep 16 17:35:34 MDT 2000

>> Nowhere can I find a way to display what tags are available once
>> created.

With cvs each file in the repository can have a different set of tags
(you can tag just a single file).  There is no easy way to get the
union of all the tags ever made.

You can get the tags for a given file by running "cvs log <file>".
Since you ordinarily make tags on entire hierarchies this will be a
good approximation to a list of all the tags for the hierarchy.

>> The CVS/Entries file does not appear to have any note of the tag
>> though.

This will only happen if you are (1) using a sticky tag (which you
really, really don't want) or (2) using a branch.

You didn't make a branch.  And, even if you did, your working
directory isn't automatically moved to the branch.  You have to use
"cvs update -r" to do that.

Tom