[lug] cvs tags

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sat Sep 16 15:57:13 MDT 2000

"D. Stimits" wrote:

> This is rather simple I know, but it is driving me nuts. I've created a
> cvs repository, then imported a tree of files, followed by renaming it
> as backup, then checking it out again. Within a subdirectory of the main
> working tree, I've done something like:
> cvs tag the_project-version_1
>
> Nowhere can I find a way to display what tags are available once
> created. The tag command looks successful, it even says it is tagging
> things. The CVS/Entries file does not appear to have any note of the tag
> though. The main repository and this entire tree are owned by the same
> user doing the import and tag, with permission to write anywhere related
> to cvs, so it is unlikely to be a permissions problem. Is there a simple
> way to know what tags do exist?
>
> Thanks,
> D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com

Maybe more info will help. My regular user creates a repository with
cvs -d /usr/local/cvsroot init

Then in /usr/local/src/myproject, a complicated tree of files and
subdirectories, does
cvs -d /usr/local/cvsroot import -m 'Initial import' myproject myvendor
start

Then cd out, remove or move the original directory, then
cvs -d /usr/local/cvsroot checkout myproject

The project sandbox/working copy now exists, I cd in to myproject. Then
cvs tag myproject-1_1_0

It looks successful, similar to this:
cvs tag: Tagging .
cvs tag: Tagging dir_a
cvs tag: Tagging dir_a/subdir_a

Now, grepping all files in every CVS subdirectory, including .* files,
plus within the repository itself at /usr/local/cvsroot/ and all of its
subdirectories, there is not a single case of myproject-1_1_0. Use of
cvs history -T always results in
No records selected.

Shouldn't the CVS/Entries file in at least one directory with files
contain at least one line with something similar to
README/1.1.1.1/Fri Sep 15 12:34:56 2000//Tmyproject-1_1_0
?

If "cvs tag some_tag" does not create tags that are actually saved, what
does? I tried this both as the user that created the repository and
working copy, then again as root. No errors ever exist. All files are
accessible and writable by all users. In the cvsroot CVS subdirectory,
is a file "taginfo", which contains comments on using it, but has no
actual entries. Perhaps it needs a rule in it before tags will work? I'm
wondering if having an empty taginfo file will turn off tags, without
any messages of failure while running cvs tag. If anyone has any
guesses, I'd like to hear.

Thanks,
D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com