[lug] To GPG or PGP...?

Michael J. Pedersen marvin at keepthetouch.org
Sat Sep 16 20:22:16 MDT 2000

On Sat, Sep 16, 2000 at 09:10:02AM +0700, Anders Knudsen wrote:
> So, anyone have any + or - to using GPG vs. PGP?
> I read about GPG the other night, and notice it does not use RSA. Now that
> RSA is no longer "restricted", is this something that GPG will be
> including? PGP 2.6ish does use RSA, no?

Go with GPG on Linux, and PGP on Windows. Those are the platforms on which
they integrate well. If you're using PGP, make certain you use 6.5.8 or
higher. Any less, and you leave yourself open to a security hole that you
could drive a whole herd of script kiddies through.

GPG will be adding RSA soon, I would expect. Probably with the 1.2 release
(assuming normal open source version numbering). However, I have no official
information, so check http://www.gnupgp.org for official information.

> Also it makes me want to propose a meeting topic.
> Wayde: have we ever done a meeting on GPG/PGP?

I'm trying to work out exactly how and when to do this with Wayde, actually :)

In addition, I'm working out some details for a blug keyring, and some other
things to go with it.

Sean, I did receive your offer, and I really do appreciate it. I'll be
emailing you early next week with some questions, and we'll set up an rpm for
you of the keyserver software. I'll even maintain it for you :)

--
Michael J. Pedersen
My GnuPG KeyID: 4E724A60        My Public Key Available At: wwwkeys.pgp.net