[lug] [O/T]Web Server Fault Tolerance Devices

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Sep 19 11:12:59 MDT 2000

Alan, agreed 100%.

For purposes of folks in this forum I would always recommend the LVS
solution over the hardware devices for any site less than 100Mb/sec.

The problem in today's marketplace is that there are an awful lot of
folks who can't find talented people with experience in large network
design... and more importantly those that have the right attitude to run
production networks with the resulting higher bar for quality, uptime,
and general organization skills needed.

Many times, the decision to go with a hardware load-balancer is made by
the human resources they have on-hand at the time.  If they have a
couple of "underworked" Cisco router guys who just finished a big WAN
installation or something, they're probably better off using the Cisco
LocalDirector.  If they have some router-head geeks but no server guys,
Alteons or whatever other hardware box tickles their fancy could be used
with the least pain.  If they have a bunch of Unix-heads, they'll
probably end up doing LVS or a vendor-proprietary or commercial
implementation of load-balancing on their commercial Unix servers, or
they'll buy the F5.

None of this observation is scientific by any means, but there's no
clear performance/price winner in the market for load-balancing or
caching yet.  It's still too close to call.

My employer put in shared Alteons (just so everyone knows my bias), but
if I were a customer I'd never use them... I'd want to be able to
tinker, and you can't tinker with a service from another company the way
I'd want to.  I'd get LVS working.

So in short, yeah... try out LVS!!!  :)