[lug] Apache bandwidth control?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Sep 19 13:28:06 MDT 2000

On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 12:51:59PM -0600, Justin wrote:
>Is there anyway to limit the amount of bandwidth each client connection can
>use? For instance if a person connects to a site and wants to download a 5 meg
>file, instead of getting 40-60k a sec or whatever the pipe is capable of they
>are limited to a max of say 10k a sec? Is this possible? Thanks for any help
>in advance.

There is the "shaper", which will allow you to set up rate limits on specific
routes.  This is a standard part of the kernel, and requires some user-space
tools to configure.  It seems to work well enough.  It will work on a site-wide
basis, not a user basis though.

I seem to recall an apache module for doing some sort of bandwidth limitation,
try looking on apache.org and/or freshmeat.

Sean
--
 If I were an Indian, my name would be "Running With No Swap".
                 -- Sean Reifschneider, 1999