[lug] White square instead of mouse cursor in KDE and Gnome...

celttechie (Brian Jarrett) celttechie at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 19 14:15:46 MDT 2000

> sounds like a server bug alright...probibly something to do with the
> software cursor option that many video cards have built in.
> Under the "device" section of your /etc/X11/XF86Config file you might
> have an option you can turn on something like "sw_cursor" or the
> like.

This was it...  When I looked in the directory for my config file there were
two present.  One was called "XF86Config" and the other was "XF86Config_4".
I figured the latter was the one I needed, but I checked the standard
XF86Config file and saw that it had modelines as was needed for 3.3.  I
found the line "sw_cursor" near the end of the XF86Config_4 file and was
commented out, so I removed the # and started X up again.  This worked.

Now I'm wondering why that option wasn't enabled in the first place and if
it's just Mandrake 7.1 that creates to config files, one for each version.

Brian