[lug] rotating logs

John Starkey jstarkey at advancecreations.com
Sun Sep 24 15:57:33 MDT 2000

> As far as su, unless you use the "-" option, it keeps your current environment.
> This means that if you log in as yourself and su to root, you don't get
> /sbin and /usr/sbin in your path, even though you're root.  If you log in
> directly as root, you do.  "su -" acts like you've logged in as that user,
> so you should get the typical root PATH and other settings.

I was always told to su to root. Never login as root and su as the user.
I've always broken that law whenever I needed certain commands and/or have
a few big tasks to do.

> With /sbin:/usr/sbin in my path, I don't ever need to do "su -" to get to
> root.  I often use it when switching to another user though.

Ok, now I see. Essentially you are creating a user with almost root
priveleges and you admin that way??. But what prevents a user with shell
access from doing the same?? Are you chmod'ing something? And how do you
limit his/her access to certain options??

Where can PATH variables be declared. Recently I've started using
.bash_profile and /etc/profile. But I have PATHs in one of the first users
on this system that has a PATH contained in neither of the above and I
checked .bashrc but still no sign of it.

Thanks,

John