[lug] journaling fs

Sebastian Sobolewski spsobole at uswest.net
Tue Sep 26 19:05:40 MDT 2000

I've been using reiserFS at home and at work for 6 months now.  I've put it
through torture!  I've started copy and file move sessions and for the fun
of it shut of the system by yanking the power at various times.  reiser has
withstood some nasty punishment.

         I've only found 1 problem with it (and it's very specific to
something I was doing).  The version I have installed with Mandrake 7.1 has
problems with file permissions.  By this I mean if you are using an
app/script that creates files as root and chmoding it to a different user
and the power goes out it will forget the last several permission
changes.  Even if you flush the buffers after every chmod.  Seems like the
reiserfsd deamon does that for you and doesn't acknowledge a sync command
properly.

         Besides that I use it for all my partitions except /boot. (Bad
idea anyway) and after a crash on a 60 gig disk it takes about 10-20 sec to
check itself at boot.

         Also there is now a utility available for checking the FS in case
of problems. (reiserfsck)  I have yet to need to use it.

         Migrating is a pain since there is no way to convert an ext2
partition to raiserFS.  (I think ext2 can be converted to ext3)  You have
to copy/backup your files somewhere else then reformat as reiserFS and
restore the files.  Anyhow that's just my experience.

-Sebastian

At 02:39 PM 9/26/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 06:56:09AM -0600, llornkcor wrote:
> >Anybody here using a journaling fs regularly? Any impressions you
> >might have on it? How about the migration to using it? Are you
> >using it on the / partition?

Sebastian Sobolewski