[lug] journaling fs

Alan Robertson alanr at suse.com
Tue Sep 26 23:18:34 MDT 2000

"Ian S. Nelson" wrote:

> llornkcor wrote:
>
> > Anybody here using a journaling fs regularly? Any impressions you
> > might have on it? How about the migration to using it? Are you
> > using it on the / partition?
>
> Here's my big compound reply..
>

> Overall I'm quite pleased with ReiserFS and XFS too.  Both are very
> sophisticated modern filesystems and I think both are suitable for day to day
> use and maybe even production in a limited capacity.

SuSE has used ReiserFS in production for many months now.

> Alan Robertson wrote:
>
> > Using ReiserFS for everything but /boot (can't easily).
> >
> > The issues include:
> >         dump/restore doesn't work
> >         kernel NFS daemon doesn't work
>
> I think it does in the newer cuts.

I assume you mean knfsd.  It works only in limited ways.  There are inherent
limitations.  I work for SuSE who sponsored much of the work.  We like
ReiserFS, but I am 99% sure  this is the case.

> >         Can't use Tom's Root Boot, and others
> >         There is no reliable fsck, so the journalling better work right
>
> I haven't had fsck problems, yet.. ;)

The reiser people don't recommend it ;-)

> I have also made a Tom's disk that will work with ReiserFS.

This is really cool!  Can you get Tom to buy this back?

	-- Alan Robertson
	   alanr at suse.com