[lug] Noisy drives; was: Data integrity problems on new machine

Walter Pienciak walter at frii.com
Thu Sep 28 15:31:13 MDT 2000

And morphing the thread slightly from loud hard drives to loud
*systems* . . .

I also have my hardware in the basement.  Unfortunately, that's
also where I work.  And though I've never measured the decibel
level, it's at best annoying.  And on bad days, I feel like nails
are being driven into my ears.  (Well, okay, that's a slight
exaggeration, but it's bad.)

I've toyed with idea of enclosures, but never really saw anything
on the market that was meant to deal with sound.  Anyone ever come
across something like this?  Since a fair amount of the noise is
from work systems (external drives, yukk), I might be able to get
the company to spring for something.

Walter