[lug] defragging

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Sat Oct 7 00:40:34 MDT 2000

It will depend on the tape drive.  You might look into bru as a backup
solution, but tar is certainly cheaper.  On one system we have the tape
drive is /dev/st0 and /dev/nst0 (rewinding and non-rewinding).  It may
also be /dev/rmt*

I don't think you do mount the tape drive.  I believe you just write to
the appropriate device
file.

recreating the filesystem is done by using mke2fs (so man mke2fs is your
friend).

HTH,

Hugh