[lug] Debian Stuff & Linux on iMac / Wireless Networking

Michael J. Pedersen marvin at keepthetouch.org
Sat Oct 7 10:54:18 MDT 2000

On Sat, Oct 07, 2000 at 03:36:57AM -0600, Nate Duehr wrote:
> One of these days something so evil is going to happen during an upgrade
> that I'll be able to convince someone to let me try installing some Debian
> servers -- then I'll show someone a multi-site upgrade remotely when a
> security patch comes out on security.debian.org, and they'll approve the
> project to convert them all...

That is the sweetest feature of Debian, I think. Upgrading as many computers
as you need to, as easily as you can imagine. It really is great stuff.

Now, if we could get something like dsh from the AIX side (distributed shell,
meant for use on the IBM SP clusters. which are a real beast), it would be
perfect. Allow for the same command to be executed on all servers all at the
same time.

'TWould be perfect, and I would be able to show zero benefit to anybody trying
to stay with RedHat :)

> For those new to Debian, always make sure you add a line to
> /etc/apt/sources.list for security.debian.org, and I almost always have at
> least one machine with a line to add the "proposed-updates" section to the
> mix also...

Ya know, I've never had those two lines in there. Despite knowing something
about Debian, I still know there's a lot I need to learn. Care to give me (and
possibly others) some insights with your sources.list file?

> Michael, do you think the "proposed-updates" is a bad name for that stuff?
> It's highly regulated as to what can be put in there, and it's 99.9% of the
> time stable.  It sounds to similar to unstable, or like it should be a part
> of unstable, if you ask me.  It should be called something like
> "tested-updates"...

At this point, I can't even comment fairly. I need to look into it more still
:(

--
Michael J. Pedersen
My GnuPG KeyID: 4E724A60        My Public Key Available At: wwwkeys.pgp.net