q:slackware pkg dependencies, was Re: [lug] RFI Debian vs. Slackware

Timothy C. Klein teece at hypermall.net
Sun Oct 8 13:43:34 MDT 2000

I am currently running Slack, have been for about a week.  I thinkg
the lack of package management is enough for me.  I'm ditching it for
Debian today or tommorow. (i've also tried Redhat and Suse).

I want to play with apt-get.

Tim

On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 03:04:44AM +0800, Chan Kar Heng wrote:
> hi.
>
> the topic brought up a curious question..
> one of the problems i frequently stumbled on while
> using slackware was to do with dependencies of
> packages.
>
> setting up things manually is actually an okay
> thing for people with lots of time to experiment.
>
> more often than not, packages installed mercilessly
> core dump or behave strangely when some dependencies
> are not satisfied. (of course, this was the first
> distro of linux i got exposed to).
>
> with other distro, there's at least some form of
> warning... but with redhat, i suppose i really need
> to know what i have and don't have in my system too?

== Timothy Klein       || And what rough beast                   ==
== teece at hypermall.net || Its hour come round at last            ==
== Aufwiedersehen!     || Slouches towards Bethleham to be born? ==
== Aufwiedersehen!     || The beast of Redmond, nothing more.    ==