[lug] Is ssh alway slower?

Michael J. Pedersen marvin at keepthetouch.org
Mon Oct 9 10:55:54 MDT 2000

On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 09:24:53AM -0600, Jeff Francis wrote:
>   If your ssh latency is too high, check the compression settings.
> With compression turned on, throughput is much higher, but so is
> latency.  This is good for some things (like when you're using scp to
> move big compressable files), but bad for other things (like editors,
> mail programs, etc).  Turning off compression lowers your throughput,
> but latency goes back to being more like normal telnet.

For me, at least, my latency is almost zero. As in I never notice it. Doesn't
matter which app I'm in. I set the compression level to its highest setting,
and let it ride. The only time I've noticed a slowdown was in the screen
update process in MindTerm. Same settings, other ssh programs, and no
difference visible.

--
Michael J. Pedersen
My GnuPG KeyID: 4E724A60        My Public Key Available At: wwwkeys.pgp.net