[lug] ATT at Home setup

John and Lynne jwlikes3 at home.com
Fri Oct 13 21:39:00 MDT 2000

Hi,

This is my first time posting to a group, but since you are a local
Colorado group, I thought someone might have had some experience with
the local flavour of ATT at HOME.

I have completed installing ATT at Home (Aurora system) cable modem om my
Red Hat 6.0 system.  So far, they seem to be down about 2 hours a night,
beginning at 6 pm.  Is this S.O.P. or a bad run of it?.

Any how, the real question....I am using the Linux box as a gateway to
my home network, sharing the cable modem and local network using one nic
connected through a small hub.  However, I had to use hard-coded static
TCP/IP address for the modem connection, getting the address by first
connecting with windows, and then transferring the settings to the Linux
machine.  It worked, but I'm nervous when they may reboot something on
their end and leave me having to do the whole thing again.  This set up
is a messy couple of hours and I don't want to repeat it all that often.

I was never able to get dhcp to work, although I tried all the stuff
that I found on the national lists, and various FAQ's etc. involving
hardcoding the MACADDR, installing DCHPCP rather than PUMP, etc.  I
wonder If anyone has made this work, especially could you share NIC as
eth0 and eth0:0 when one is static address and the other is dynamic, and
what parameters did you use for the DCHPCP call.

Thanks for any help.

J.W.L.