[lug] att at home cable service

Timothy C. Klein teece at i148.denver.dsl.forethought.net
Tue Oct 17 21:25:29 MDT 2000

Dan,

I am partial to DSL.  No restrictions on on what you can do with the service,
easy access to a static IP.  I get a static IP for free, 640 Kbps up/down and
I can run whatever servers I want on my machines.  I also am not forced to use
the AT&T ISP, nor am I required to get their cable service.

On the downside, DSL is more difficult to get.  A lot of house don't have lines
that qualify.  But, if the place where your moving has DSL available, give it a
serious thought.  Cable is faster on the spec sheet, but I don't know if that is
the reality in practice.  I'm sure some of the time it is faster.

Tim

PS-> in the interest of full disclosure, I should mention that I work for a
company that provides DSL as one of its services.  But I would choose as I have
even if I didn't work there. ;)

On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 12:36:27PM -0600, Dan Radom wrote:
> I'm relocating to Broomfield from Kansas City, and was hoping for a little
> info on @home service.  Having read their information I'm not sure if this
> is the right service for me.  First of all I'm looking for a static IP
> address.  I suppose DHCP would be acceptable as long as the IP didn't change
> very often.  I've got 3-4 machines behind a masq'd linux box.  Does att at home
> need to know about those machine?  I can block scans originating from their
> network.  I'm basically looking for some sort of highspeed access with a
> static IP address.  Any thoughts or suggestions?
>
> Dan

== Timothy Klein       || And what rough beast                   ==
== teece at hypermall.net || Its hour come round at last            ==
== Aufwiedersehen!     || Slouches towards Bethleham to be born? ==
== Aufwiedersehen!     || The beast of Redmond, nothing more.    ==