[lug] Redhat 7.0

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Oct 18 18:54:33 MDT 2000

On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 05:02:58PM -0600, Justin wrote:
>I'm trying to get peoples personal preferences/experiences with Redhat 7.0.

I've been running RedHat 7 on my primary box (my laptop) since Friday.
I decided to install XFree 3.3.6 instead of 4.0.1 because the 4.0.1
driver for my laptop display was significantly slower than the 3.3.6
variant.  I've had no problems with Redhat 7.0 thus far.  It looks
by far to be the most solid .0 release Redhat has made.

In an uncharacteristic move, next month will probably be the release
of KRUD 7.0 (we're still putting it through it's paces, but there
are no show-stoppers so far).  It was over 6 months from the Redhat
release before we release a KRUD 6.1, for example.

xinetd is there, and it uses a totally different scheme for the
config.  I'll give you a hint though...  If you need to make an
xinetd entry, write a regular inetd.conf entry to /etc/inetd.conf
and run "inetdconf".  Presto!

I've built a couple of dozen packages so far and it's working well.
There seems to be a problem with the brp-compress step of the RPM
build process, but I was seeing that under 6.2 as well.

Kevin has been running Redhat 7 for a few weeks on his main box.

Evelyn was slated for an upgrade this weekend as well, but we tried to
be clevar and it didn't work out.  Don't ask, let's just say it involved
hand-typing in python code so we didn't have to pull another copy of
Redhat across the net.  ;-)

Sean
--
 Sometimes it pays to stay in bed on Monday, rather than spending the rest
 of the week debugging Monday's code.  -- Christopher Thompson