[lug] Redhat 7.0

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sun Oct 22 01:49:52 MDT 2000

It just dawned on me... I'm sure there *was*, but did anyone here have any
experience with RedHat 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, or 4.x?

I started at 5.1, or somewhere thereabouts, after watching a friend fight
his way through some nasty SlackWare stuff back then...

But *were* there those version numbers before 5?

I'll gladly defend Debian's numbering system which seems to not need to be
hit over the head with the cluebat -- it seems to more truly reflect the
state of maturity of the Linux OS in general, with 2.2 being the latest
"stable" release...

The use of a codename also helps keep keep folks from focusing in on version
numbers so much...

RedHat = Guinness -- They were drinking too much of it the night they took
the GCC snapshot and decided "it's good enough, ship it!".

Debian (stable) = Potato -- Named after a rolly-polly cartoon character with
lots of spare parts you have to put together yourself to make him
interesting.  Otherwise he's kinda dull.

They both fit their respective distros!!  :)

Nate