[lug] Redhat 7.0

Matt Clauson mec at dotorg.org
Sun Oct 22 07:29:51 MDT 2000

On Sun, Oct 22, 2000 at 01:49:52AM -0600, Nate Duehr wrote:
> It just dawned on me... I'm sure there *was*, but did anyone here have any
> experience with RedHat 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, or 4.x?

As memory serves, redhat started getting popular around 3.0.3, the
Mother's Day release, IIRC...  I started with somewhere in the 4.x series.

> I started at 5.1, or somewhere thereabouts, after watching a friend fight
> his way through some nasty SlackWare stuff back then...

Heh...  I remember the days of SLS and slack 1/2....  those were fun.  My first
install that I completely performed was Slack2.2.

> I'll gladly defend Debian's numbering system which seems to not need to be
> hit over the head with the cluebat -- it seems to more truly reflect the
> state of maturity of the Linux OS in general, with 2.2 being the latest
> "stable" release...
>
> The use of a codename also helps keep keep folks from focusing in on version
> numbers so much...
>
> RedHat = Guinness -- They were drinking too much of it the night they took
> the GCC snapshot and decided "it's good enough, ship it!".

<NAPSTER CARTOON>
BEER GOOD!
</NC>

> Debian (stable) = Potato -- Named after a rolly-polly cartoon character with
> lots of spare parts you have to put together yourself to make him
> interesting.  Otherwise he's kinda dull.
>
> They both fit their respective distros!!  :)

You know, as a die-hard (or is that blow-hard) Debian convert (from RH,
incidentally) I should take offense at that.  But, since I've gotta take my
boxen down for the install fest...  bah, fuckit.  :P

--mec