[lug] Enabling remote Xhosts?

Keith Keith.Herold at colorado.edu
Sun Oct 29 21:27:50 MST 2000

Howdy!

I wanted to run xemacs remotely from my research box (static IP) using
my home machine (with a dynamic IP and, of course, no name resolving).
When I telnet to the research box, and run emacs, I get the following
error:

_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't get address for oafish
emacs: Cannot connect to X server my_home:0.
Check the DISPLAY environment variable or use '-d'
Also use the 'xhost' program to verify that it is set to permit
connections from your machine.

Running xhost on the reseach machine gets:

_X11TransSocketINETConnect:  Can't get address for oafish
xhost:  unable to open display "my_home:0"

the DISPLAY variable on the research machine is

DISPLAY=oafish:0

I thought maybe the problem was using dhcp on my home machine (dhcp is
the only option) given the error message, but I don't actually know.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

--Keith