[lug] Enabling remote Xhosts?

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Mon Oct 30 08:50:52 MST 2000

Keith wrote:

> Howdy!
>
> I wanted to run xemacs remotely from my research box (static IP) using
> my home machine (with a dynamic IP and, of course, no name resolving).
> When I telnet to the research box, and run emacs, I get the following
> error:
>
> _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't get address for oafish
> emacs: Cannot connect to X server my_home:0.
> Check the DISPLAY environment variable or use '-d'
> Also use the 'xhost' program to verify that it is set to permit
> connections from your machine.
>
> Running xhost on the reseach machine gets:
>
> _X11TransSocketINETConnect:  Can't get address for oafish
> xhost:  unable to open display "my_home:0"
>
> the DISPLAY variable on the research machine is
>
> DISPLAY=oafish:0
>
> I thought maybe the problem was using dhcp on my home machine (dhcp is
> the only option) given the error message, but I don't actually know.
>
> Does anyone know how to fix this?

Export the actual ip address instead of "oafish" or "my_home" before you
run xemacs (from the remote machine). If you use bash (assuming ip
1.2.3.4):
export DISPLAY=1.2.3.4:0.0

If you run a variety of csh or tcsh:
setenv DISPLAY 1.2.3.4:0.0

The problem is that it doesn't know how to resolve a named address to a
machine with dynamic ip.