[lug] How do you run a logout script under Gnome?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Oct 30 20:28:03 MST 2000

On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 10:19:21PM -0700, Glenn Murray wrote:
>I put a few lines into my .bash_logout file, but
>when I logout via the Gnome panel they are ignored.

Well, as the name implies, that's only called when you log out of a
"bash" session.  At one point I was able to muck around in /etc/X11
and make it so that X was run under ssh-agent.  You should be able
to do something similar if you are using GDM/XDM.

I really don't do GDM/XDM though...  I don't really get it...  Now,
if you were using startx, it should be easy enough to do -- make a
wrapper to startx that does what you want after the real startx
exits...

>While I'm at it, what is the shutting-down counterpart
>of /etc/init.d?  Is there such a thing?

The init.d stuff includes code which is run to both start up and
shut down sessions.  The files in rc2.d that start with "S" are
to start, the ones that start with "K" are to stop.

Sean
--
 Memory is like an orgasm. It's a lot better if you don't have to fake it.
                 -- Seymore Cray, on virtual memory