[lug] BLUG administration in 2001

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri Nov 3 17:33:24 MST 2000

"J. Wayde Allen" wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, D. Stimits wrote:
>
> > > What kind of "simulation" do you have in mind?
> >
> > Basically any kind of simulation. There is a lot that is
> > interchangeable. It can be games, it can be CAD/CAM, it can be numeric
> > simulation of weather. Basically modeling and visualization, especially
> > if real time.
>
> Last month's presentation was all about how NOAA has built a big
> multi-processing super computer for running their weather forecasting
> model.
>
> I've done a bit of thermal heat flow modeling for the NIST
> microcalorimeter.  I'm not sure how much of this would be of interest?

I'd be interested in the program design, the kind of graphics display
library used (OpenGL, VTK, so on), and what it took to get the
performance you wanted from a linux box.

> Originally I did a finite element simulation of one of the structures
> using the ANSYS finite element package, but that was not specifically
> running under Linux.  I used ran the ANSYS system on one of the NIST
> servers.  I only used Linux to give me the X-windows interface so I could
> work from my desk.  My most recent "simulation" was of the time dependent

Did it use OpenGL? libVTK? How hard was it to get what you wanted out of
it?

> heat flow in the calorimeter using Al's Circuit Simulator
> <http://www.geda.seul.org/tools/acs/> running under Linux.  If a
> discussion of this work would be of interest I could see about giving a
> talk on it?  There isn't a lot of Linux specific content that I could give
> in such a presentation though.  You'd learn a lot about the RF power
> standard though <grin>.

Experience on what part of this linux could or could not handle
reasonably, along with ideas on what linux needs to do a better job at
this sort of thing, is of interest to me.