[lug] LILO and Windows Safe Mode

Installer jkarns at csd.net
Sun Nov 5 20:26:48 MST 2000

On Sun, 5 Nov 2000, Warren Sanders was reputed to have said:

> I always have used F8 the moment you hear the beep or when you see loading
> Windows 98.  I have heard others say F5 does safe-mode, but F8 gives you
> more choices. I would first do the step by step confirmation selection.

Ditto here - I have always used F8.  An alternative is to edit c:msdos.sys
(after changing attrib's from Read-only/System/Hidden to a regular file -
also may be a good idea to make a copy before editting it).  Then under
the [Options] section, add or edit the lines to something like the
following:

BootMenu=1
BootMenuDelay=10

If you decide to use the Dos Linux loader to boot Linux from Dos, you can
also add

BootMenuDefault=5

where the '5' indicates the state - which on my system corresponds to Dos
Command mode.

At any rate, the addition of the 1st 2 lines above should force the menu
without having to press any keys.