[lug] LILO becomes LI...

John Starkey jstarkey at advancecreations.com
Tue Nov 14 22:45:17 MST 2000

Ok. I gave myself a couple days to think on this. Still clueless.

> LI indicates a geometry mis-match with your hard drive.  According to
> the lilo documentation:
>
>    LI   The first stage boot loader was able to load the second stage boot
>     loader, but has failed to execute it. This can either be caused by a
>     geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/boot.b without running the map
>     installer.
>
> Check to make sure the kernel you are trying to boot is on a partion
> that exists entirely under 1024 partitions.

What is the mapping software? man -k map returns no hits that seem
relevent to my newbie mind.

How can I view the contents of the first 1024 of the drive? The kernels
I've tried to boot are the 2 kernels I was running before I did the RH CD
install. Why would RH have moved those two kernels?

TIA,

John