[lug] host lookups

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Nov 15 18:32:23 MST 2000

First, some notes...
(my nslookups use idcomm.com's name server)

Hugh Brown wrote:

> HOSTNAME="juice"
>
> /etc/hosts
> 127.0.0.1       localhost       localhost.localdomain
> 192.168.1.1   juice.homenetwork.com          juice
nslookup finds this (interesting it is routable)

> 192.168.1.2   host2.homenetwork.com          host2
nslookup finds this (interesting it is routable)

> 192.168.1.3   host3.homenetwork.com          host3
> 192.168.1.4   host4.homenetwork.com          host4
> 192.168.1.5   host5.homenetwork.com          host5
The 3 above are not found by nslookup.

My own box fails to find host for itself. This is probably the way it
should be. Maybe someone else can answer this...unless a non-routable
internal network has its own nameserver running for the
internal/unofficial ip's, then nameserver lookup will always go to the
outside world, and thus fail?

Do you run your own nameserver? I suspect you can run ping juice or any
other name, and get an instant ping success. Probably it is only DNS
lookup that is failing via the host command.