[lug] Redhat install lock up problems...

Warren Sanders sanders at MontanaLinux.Org
Wed Nov 15 22:08:38 MST 2000

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 16:37:08 -0700 (MST)
> From: Kevin Fenzi <kevin at tummy.com>
> To: lug at lug.boulder.co.us
> Subject: Re: [lug] Redhat install lock up problems...

> Warren> I seem to remember having a similar type of problem.  It was
> Warren> due to mounting any vfat partitions during install.  Two
> Warren> things are, either don't mount vfat untill after installing or
> Warren> get the fix for anaconda disk from RedHats updates.  Other
> Warren> than that I'm not sure.
>
> humm...I don't recall a vfat problem.
> The anaconda update at http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/RHBA-2000-084-04.html
> doesn't mention it. The problems it fixes are:
>
>  - the installer would crash when doing a multi-CD install if
> pre-existing partititions were specified as mount points

This solution was the brought to my attention when requesting help.
Although this note just above here was probably what I was getting at. In
my case it was the vfat.

A second install I did without the anaconda fix disk and I did choose to
mount /home as a pre-existing partition (excluding the vfat), the install
still worked.

> - ext2 labels were not being truncated properly when written out on a
> new install, causing errors when trying to mount these partitions on a
> reboot
>
> - missing or corrupt RPMs were not clearly being reported during the
> install process
>
> BTW, the anaconda update is already in the krud-7 we released at the
> beginning of the month. It's even in the boot image that the cd
> uses. ;)
>
> kevin
> --
> >> Howdy all - (First of all -- sorry about that dud message I just
> >> sent... Got a little happy with the ctrl keys...)
> >>
> >> I'm helping a coworker install RH 7.0 from scratch on his system
> >> and we're running into problems.  We get through laying out his
> >> disk partitions with Disk Druid and select all of the packages that
> >> he wants.  It then says that it's checking dependencies on all
> >> packages and then completely locks the system up before ever moving
> >> on.
> >>
> >> I tried to flip to the other consoles to see if there was anything
> >> logged, but the system is completely unresponsive.  We've used this
> >> CD on another box on a similar install and had no problems, so I
> >> don't think it's a media problem.  I haven't tried using another
> >> cdrom drive, since I figured I would try y'all first.  He was
> >> running RH 6.2 at one time on this box w/o problems, so I'm leaning
> >> against X windows problems... but who knows...
> >>
> >> Has anyone seen this that could lend some insight?  I'm
> >> predominantly a Slack kind of guy, so I'm not overly familiar with
> >> the RH install and can't remember which part of the setup comes
> >> next.
> >>
> >> Jim Harris Network Operating Systems Group Phone: 303.702.3853 |
> >> Fax: 303.678.2182 EDS @ Maxtor Corporation

> Warren> -- Warren Sanders http://MontanaLinux.Org

Warren Sanders
http://MontanaLinux.Org