[lug] KRUD Q

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Nov 16 16:36:09 MST 2000

To: stimits at idcomm.com ("D. Stimits")
--text follows this line--

D> In my RH 6.2 I currently have egcs-2.91.66 (via egcs --version). On
D> the tummy.com package list for current KRUD distro, I see this:
D> egcs Version 1.1.2 Release 30

D> This seems to be some other form of version than running egcs
D> --version, so I can't tell how it compares to my current version.

Thats the rpm package name...

rpm -qa | grep egcs

egcs-1.1.2-30

so that looks like the same one. ;)

D> My real question is this...with the snafu of RH 7's "2.96" release
D> which is not supported by the GNU team, and may produce binaries
D> which are incompatible with prior and later egcs binaries, will
D> KRUD, when it releases a version based on RH 7, go backwards in
D> egcs version (and libstdc++) to avoid this problem? Or has anything
D> been decided yet?

we are shipping the rh 2.96 release...
It has gotten a bad rap in my opinion. ;)

True, the c++ is not binary compatible, but then again none of the
egcs/gcc versions are. None of them.

rh's 2.96 compiled all the KRUD extra packages just fine. I am even
running a 2.4.0-test10 kernel on my laptop compiled by that
compiler. No problems. ;)

note that they do include "kgcc" which is:

Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-glibc21-linux/egcs-2.91.66/specs
gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)

so you can always use that compiler if the rh2.96 one doesn't work for
you. ;)

D> D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com

kevin
--