[lug] Dual 1Ghz SMP Server Takes "Long Pause"

Rob Riggs rriggs at doubleclick.net
Fri Nov 17 18:54:18 MST 2000

Nothing logged. No complaints on the serial console. It is all quite odd.

The lockups are happening for me when downloading and decoding
100+MB MIME email messages from a POP3 mailbox.

And I lied about the 866s working.. they seem to lock up for much less
time though. And I just found an interesting message in the syslog
immediately following a 20 minute stall that occured during testing
a few minutes ago:

"kernel: VM: killing process atd "

Looks like a VM problem. This may explain a few "lockups" we've
seen on a particular machine (the "favorite" of one of our power
users) in the past.

This sounds like there could be a nasty VM bug in the 2.2 kernel.