[lug] Laptop hard drives

Chris Riddoch socket at peakpeak.com
Sat Nov 25 19:57:11 MST 2000

So, just a quick question to anybody who's dealt with upgrading the
hard drive in a laptop (Toshiba Satellite Pro 435CDS):

The hard drive I've got is a Toshiba MK1301MAV, 1.3 gigs, "Slimline
12mm" and 2.5 inches long.  2633c, 16h, 63s.

A lot of the hard drives I'm finding are either slightly larger, or
slightly smaller.  12.5 and 12.7mm are common, as is 9.5mm.  What's
the likelihood of being screwed if I go with a slightly different
size?

The other thing, what're the chances I'll have bios issues with hard
drives of particular sizes?  I remember the 8 gig limit for booting a
kernel, and I'm worried about needing a bios updates.  Toshiba's
website doesn't even *mention* my laptop, anywhere.  The only
references I could find to my laptop anywhere are laptop sales sites.

What's my safest bet, when looking for a hard drive to replace one
that's going to die any week now?  (Just before finals, whee.)

--
Chris Riddoch
socket at peakpeak.com