[lug] Memory problem

Justin glowecon at netscape.net
Tue Nov 28 12:12:29 MST 2000

I'm running into a memory issue on my main server machine. I have never had
this problem before and it seemed to start within the last 2 weeks. Using
procinfo I am seeing the memory usage gradually increasing until it reaches
the max of 128megs. Last week I started killing off process's randomly to see
if that free'd memory but no luck. I tried restarting all my main server apps
including apache, postfix, identd, syslog, inetd, and some others. The memory
usage still showed the same, but when doing a ps aux none of the process's
seemed to be hogging any memory. I ended up shutting down and booting back up
to clear the memory problem. After the reboot the mem usage, according to
procinfo, was about 50megs. After my users had started up all their stuff
again the memory was up to about 90megs, which is normal. I ran my
counterstrike server for a while saturday night, which consumes about 28megs,
then shut it down later on. The memory dropped back down to around 90megs
after that but has been increasing daily for no particular reason. It's now at
about 122megs of the max 128, and the only thing I've done since the weekend
was update my BIND to P7. Any way to trouble shoot this or any ideas of what
might be going on? The box is Redhat 6.1 (updated) w/ kernel 2.2.15. Thanks in
advance for any help.

Justin