[lug] Memory problem

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Nov 28 13:34:24 MST 2000

This is farily normal in my experience with big BIND servers.

BIND will use up all the physical RAM available unless you limit
it's cache size.  It doesn't seem to hurt anything.

As long as swap isn't filling up, you're fine.  The kernel will play
traffic cop and swap out unused BIND information when you run other
apps.  If you're worried about the performance of those apps or you're
seeing a lot of paging,  you can limit BIND's use of RAM with the
"datasize" and "stacksize" directives in the "options" section.

(plug) Evi's book has a nice discussion of RAM/resource utilization that
talks about how to look at this stuff.  I had similar concerns until I
dumped some stats and graphed them.  My machines weren't paging too bad,
and some of them are dedicated nameservers anyway, so I gave BIND the
"datasize unlimited" and "stacksize unlimited" directives to make sure
BIND wouldn't limit itself on what it asked the kernel for... and I let
the kernel make all the RAM utilization decisions.

Another interesting thing I've seen is that somehow BIND appears to be
written (not being a C coder -- I don't know how) to avoid swap.  The
machines only seem to swap when other apps besides BIND run.

Hopefully that's helpful.

--
Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>