[lug] RFI -- Making a boot floppy under Slackware

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Tue Nov 28 17:22:46 MST 2000

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, B O'Fallon was reputed to have said:

> John Karns wrote:
>
> > Have you lookd at your BIOS setup to see what the boot device order is?  Most
> > modern BIOS's provide the capability to select the precedence of
> > devices on the system; e.g., A,C,CDROM.
>
> My system is set up to boot CDROM, then floppy, then hard disk. It normally does
> this, and in fact, does it with the boot disk created by Slackware at the time I
> installed the program, as well as other boot disks I have used in the past. So I
> know that there not a problem with the BIOS or such; the problem is that the

When did you do the install - it could still be a hardware issue like a
misconnected floppy drive or something.

At any rate, what I would do is:

	"dd if=path/to/yourInstalledKernel of=/dev/fd0 bs=18432"

then you may want or need to:

	rdev /dev/fd0 /dev/xdn

 where x is s for scsi or h for ide; and n is the # of your root
partition.

And finally:

	rootflags /dev/fd0 -o

(not sure about the exact form of the last parm, as the man page is a bit
vague, and it's been a while since I've used the command.