[lug] file not found/incompatibility problem(s)

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Nov 29 09:23:51 MST 2000

Chip> Greetings, Last night I was trying to get the binary version of
Chip> xvscan working on a new 7.0 KRUD installation and kept getting
Chip> the weirdest error.  It would say "/usr/local/bin/xvscan not
Chip> found".  ls showed it there.  I suspect that what is happening
Chip> is that for some reason the xvscan binaries, which were built on
Chip> 4.x or 5.x RH/KRUD won't run on 7.0.  Thus the execve that the
Chip> shell performs on the executable fails right off.  At least
Chip> that's what looks like is going on when I ran strace.

yeah, it's a library problem. I haven't heard of it happening to
xvscan, but I am not too surprised. Try doing:

ldd xvscan

and see what libraries it wants. It might be that you don't have the
'compat-glibc-6.2' package installed (thats the old libraries from
6.2). Or that something in the compat libs doesn't provide everything
it needs to run.

Chip> Building xvscan from source worked fine though.  Anyone know
Chip> what's going on?  This means that my prebuilt binaries from
Chip> previous versions won't run on 7.0, doesn't it?

for the most part they should (if you have the compat libs installed),
in some cases they will need to be recompiled.

Chip> Thanks in advance, Chip

kevin
--
Kevin Fenzi