[lug] rio500 module support

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Dec 6 14:50:48 MST 2000

C Menzes wrote:

> > Did you also install the new System.map that is generated with kernel
> > compile? If not, depmod -a probably gives a lot of unresolved symbols.
> > Either your System.map isn't installed for this particular kernel, or
> > the kernel lacks the interface that the rio module needs.
> >

>         yes, i believe so. i did:
>
>                 cp /usr/src/linux/System.map /boot/System.map-2.4.0-test11
>                 ln -s /boot/System.map-2.4.0-test11 /boot/System.map
>
>         there is however a file in /boot called module-info-2.2.16 with
>         a symlink of module-info pointing to it. i have no clue what this
>         file should be updated with.
>
>         thanks! -cjm

Hmm. I haven't looked at this file before, but apparently it comes with
the base install on RH (maybe others). It looks to me that this file
describes all of the possible stock modules and their parameters for
that kernel version; I don't know if it is used by anything or just
information. But in either case, your System.map is installed should be
correct, so the module-info file should not matter.

Does depmod -a give any other unknown symbols if you have that module
temporarily moved out of the /lib/modules/2.4.0-test11/ area?

If other modules do not do this, then it is extremely likely that the
module either was not compiled against this kernel (2.4.0-test11), or it
is using functions that are not supported in this kernel (some
interfaces have been removed or modified in 2.4.x versus 2.2.x). If you
have the source to the module, you could recompile the module. I assume
that since your install of 2.4.x you haven't cleaned or removed the
configuration of the 2.4.0-test11, so you could be guaranteed that it
isn't a mismatch of kernel configuration versus compilation of the
module.