[lug] Network time

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Wed Dec 6 12:34:16 MST 2000

Thanx to all who responded.  I'm sure that I'll be able to use at least
one of the proposed solutions.

On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Nate Duehr uttered:

> Many of the docs on NTP make it seem much harder to set up than it
> really is for most of us, because they were written by folks who need
> ultimate precision.

Yeah, I took a look at the "Quick Start" doc, and my thought was that the
title was a gross misnomer!

> For NTP setup, on your "master" machine, just edit /etc/ntp.conf and add
> something like this (replacing the time servers with lower stratum
> servers... this is just a working example...)
>
> # Using NIST Atomic Clock and Naval Observatory
> server time-a.nist.gov
> server time-b.nist.gov
> server tick.usno.navy.mil
> server tock.usno.navy.mil

Sounds good.  I like this idea - can it be done with a dial-up
connection?  I would be happy with a master query periodicity of something
like 24-hours or maybe as infrequently as once a week.  Just need
something to keep clocks from drifting too far apart, like on the order of
15 minutes or so.