[lug] DSL Service Providers

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sat Jan 6 21:55:45 MST 2001

On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 04:48:42PM -0700, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> Just about everybody is offering DSL these days.  If you have an ISP
> you like, check out what DSL offerings they have.  Also, JATO and Covad
> I believe are offering DSL without the telco really being in the way,
> this may be an option.  There's also the wireless options, Sprint has
> one in the Denver area, and cwx.net has one in the Fort Collins area.

A friend of mine on Jato recently received an e-mail from them that
claimed their financial difficulties would soon disconnect his service
permanently.  He's now looking again for another broadband provider.

Beware.

They didn't give a date in the e-mail and they didn't turn him off yet,
and he hasn't called them to confirm it -- but he believes it was
legitimate.

If you're the highly mobile type, and don't mind basically using a
beta-quality network until they finish the buildout, I see that Ricochet
has announced service in Denver now.  128kb/s supposedly through an
external device that acts like a modem to the PC, so it'll work with
Linux.

Not sure about the Boulder coverage, but they have an interactive map
online.  www.metricom.com

I would be tempted to give it a try but the $75/mo and spotty coverage
where I spend my off-work hours means I probably won't do it for a while
yet.  However, a friend who lives downtown heard they were available and
ordered it immediately.  I'll post his experiences to the group later...
hopefully I'll remember!

--
Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>