[lug] VMWare and LILO configuration

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Mon Jan 8 17:17:27 MST 2001

On Sun, 7 Jan 2001, Subba Rao uttered:

> Can anyone recommend a better LILO and/or VMWare configuration? I prefer that
> VMWare not to prompt me for the guest OS. I plan to install other Guest OSs on

The only reason you don't get a prompt when booting a default W98 install
is that the boot loader is configured (via \msdos.sys) not to present boot
options.  So you could do something similar with LILO as far as setting a
timeout and default to one of the OS's.

AFAIK, you are stuck with a boot prompt however, as long as you have more
than one OS installed on the system, or at least on the same HD.  There
may be some trickery to deflect a second boot to a 2nd HD once you get the
other OS's installed, but I don't think it's advisable.

You could make it a little less painful by using a single letter as a
label or alias in LILO for W98 thus requiring a single keystroke to boot
W98, and leave Linux as the default OS.

John Karns                                              jkarns at csd.net

"Those who cast the vote decide nothing; Those who count the vote decide
everything." - Joseph Stalin