[lug] Python/Zope question ...

rm at mamma.varadinet.de rm at mamma.varadinet.de
Sat Jan 13 12:26:20 MST 2001

On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 12:10:23PM -0700, Evelyn Mitchell wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 07:59:10PM +0100, rm at mamma.varadinet.de wrote:
> > >From what i read in this document it seems that i can't
> > write code to produce something like:
> > *-----------------------------------------------
> > |
> > |  <dtml-search query="Berlin OR Hamburg">
> > |    <li><dtml-var name><br>
> > |        <dtml-var URL></li>
> > |  </dtml-query>
> > |

> You can do exactly this with a DTML method. You don't need
> External Methods (Python widgets) to do this.

Hmm, i think i'm misssing something here. What i want to do
is the following: I have written some daemon that acts as
a middle tire to query search engines like glimpse. The front-
end opens a socket to the server and sends a query. The server
translates the query to the backend query format, queries the
backend, caches the reply and sends an answer to the frontend.
Frontend/server communication is done with a http-ish protocol.
I've written Java/Perl and Python modules/classes for the proto-
col part and they seem to work fine. Of course i could do some-
thing like:

 <dtml-in expr="query(server="192.168.2.12" port="7777"  query="bla")">
 </dtml-in>

but since the people who have to maintain the site are basically
non-technical i would love to have a less error-prone alternaive
syntax bycreating my 'own' dtml tags. From what i understand so
far dtml-methods are stored fragments of dtml code. I don't see
how i can accomplish what i want with dtml methods.

 Ralf