[lug] Large HD and VMWare's raw partitions

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Mon Jan 15 16:36:29 MST 2001

This sounds as if the partitions are not formatted the way the msdos
filesystem type expects them to be.

You might try -t vfat (make sure you have vfat compiled into the kernel
[cat /proc/filesystems] or as a module [modprobe vfat] )

> then the filesystem is mounted as a ext2 filesystems. When I try to mount them
> as msdos filesystems,
>
>         mount -t msdos /dev/hdc5 /msdos
>
> then the following message appears:
>
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc5,
>        or too many mounted file systems

When you say raw, usually people mean that there is no filesystem on the
partition and that the application writes directly to /dev/hdc5 (or the
appropriate device associated with a partition).  So, mounting a raw
partition is not needed and in general will be impossible.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.