[lug] Kernel 2.4.0

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Tue Jan 16 12:27:36 MST 2001

I've compiled a 2.4.0 kernel for my Redhat 6.2 system.  I'm having two
problems, and wonder if anyone can lend some advise:

1) Having some problems with kernel-loadable modules -- seems the
/lib/modules/2.4.0 tree is a bit different.  I read somewhere that I
will need a new modutils package.  If that's the case, anyone know of a
new modutils RPM that will work on a RH 6.2 system?  This makes me think
that I did the wrong thing by hacking it to look like the
/lib/modules/2.2.x tree ;)  Things are sort-of working at the moment.
'sndconfig' barfs, and I'm not getting sound loaded at boot (which is
what I want), but a manual 'modprobe es1371' gets it going.  Perhaps I
just need to fix whatever else is wrong (modutils?) and do another 'make
modules_install'.  Or maybe not...

2) Having some problems with XFree86.  In particular -- sometimes it
hangs at a black screen when I fire up X.  Any ideas?  Do I need to
recompile under the new kernel?

XFree86 Version 4.0.1 / X Window System
Release Date: 1 July 2000
	If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is newer
	than the above date, look for a newer version before reporting
	problems.  (see http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
Operating System: Linux 2.2.15-urw1 i686 [ELF]
Module Loader present

3) Is it reasonable to expect that I can run Kernel 2.4.0 under a RH 6.2
distro?  I don't really want to upgrade to RH 7.0, but I'd like to play
around with the USB support, iptables, and other new kernel features.
As for the full upgrade, I figured on waiting until someone builds a
distro fully around the stable 2.4 kernel, perhaps RH 7.1

--

John Hernandez, Network Engineer --------------------------------------
US Department of Commerce                             tel: 303-497-6392