[lug] Kernel 2.4.0

Scott A. Herod herod at interact-tv.com
Tue Jan 16 13:36:16 MST 2001

John Hernandez wrote:

> I've compiled a 2.4.0 kernel for my Redhat 6.2 system.  I'm having two
> problems, and wonder if anyone can lend some advise:
>
> 1) Having some problems with kernel-loadable modules -- seems the
> /lib/modules/2.4.0 tree is a bit different.  I read somewhere that I
> will need a new modutils package.  If that's the case, anyone know of a
> new modutils RPM that will work on a RH 6.2 system?  This makes me think
> that I did the wrong thing by hacking it to look like the
> /lib/modules/2.2.x tree ;)  Things are sort-of working at the moment.
> 'sndconfig' barfs, and I'm not getting sound loaded at boot (which is
> what I want), but a manual 'modprobe es1371' gets it going.  Perhaps I
> just need to fix whatever else is wrong (modutils?) and do another 'make
> modules_install'.  Or maybe not...

They did change the way modules are arranged with 2.4.  Get the latest
rpm  ( looks like modutils-2.3.9-6 ) and use it.  It works with both
the new directory structure and the pre-2.4 version.

> 3) Is it reasonable to expect that I can run Kernel 2.4.0 under a RH 6.2
> distro?  I don't really want to upgrade to RH 7.0, but I'd like to play
> around with the USB support, iptables, and other new kernel features.
> As for the full upgrade, I figured on waiting until someone builds a
> distro fully around the stable 2.4 kernel, perhaps RH 7.1

I happily running a couple of the test kernels ( 7 and 8 ) with RH6.2.
As always, I would be careful not to blow away the originals.

Scott