[lug] Building a linux box

Chris Riddoch socket at peakpeak.com
Wed Jan 17 00:29:47 MST 2001

Hi, everyone.

Some of you may know my roommate, Jenny, who I brought to last year's
CLIQ conference. (www.thecliq.org) She wants to learn Linux.  She has
a boxful of random hardware that is just taking up dead space, and she
wants to get rid of it - sell some of it, if possible, in order to get
money to build a new computer.  We may have most of the important
components, but there's still a few things we need.

And if rather old hardware isn't good enough for you, you might want a
personal chef for a meal a week (or so) for a negotiated number of
weeks in compensation for buying good computer parts for her.  She's
been a chef at Mataam Fez for several months now, previously worked at
the Full Moon Grill, and before that, the Rio, and has been cooking
professionally for about four years now.  (Think about it.  *Real*
food, instead of the usual pizza and beer.)

So, this is what we need:

o  An ATX box and power supply
o  A good screen and video card - at least 800x600, 32bit depth.
o  A hard drive larger than 4 gigs

And this is what we'd like to trade/sell:

o  3Com Etherlink III 3C509B
o  3Com Etherlink III 3C509TP
o  UMC Ethernet card, ('UM9003F' is on the largest chip)
o  2400bps Modem (woohoo!)
o  Relatively new, probably 33.6 cardinal modem
o  Slightly older, probably 14.4 cardinal modem
o  Trident TVGA8900c video card
o  Trident TGUI9440 video card
o  386 motherboard, AMD 386 DX/DXL-40, 8 megs memory, in an AT case
   with power supply.  (router, anyone?)
o  2 generic floppy drives
o  Aztech sound card, ('AZTPR16' is on the largest chip)
o  2x CD-ROM drive with 16-bit ISA interface card, RSA audio out
o  Western Digital Caviar 220, 212Mb
o  486 motherboard and CPU in AT case, power supply, don't know
   clock speed or memory. I'll test it, and answer inquiries.
o  Macintosh Powerbook 5300 with Megahertz 14.4 pcmcia modem
   Has a broken power connection, est. fixing cost, $40
o  SCSI terminator

And, of course, good food.

Drop me a personal email if you're interested, off the list, please.

--
Chris Riddoch
socket at peakpeak.com