[lug] SUSE- comments

ljp ljp at llornkcor.com
Wed Jan 17 18:02:03 MST 2001

I have just installed SuSE 7, on a spare pc, after using RedHat for years,
just to try it out. I just wanted to exchange a few thoughts on it.
1- Nice partitioning program. I think its easier, and better looking than
RH's.
2- I also liked the 'prefab' installs available, or the easily navigated
'do-it yourself'. I always thought RH's was a nightmare to try to go through
and install selected packages. I dreaded that part. I really like the
'automatic' feature that will install other packages as needed.
3- The SuSE xserver configuration program (sax, I believe), I had problems
with. Either I didn't know how to work it right, or it failed. Good thing
XF86Config worked like a charm.
4- The install seemed to take longer than RH's (probably because of
ReiserFS, I suppose), but it at least looked better than the curses graphics
RH has used. (I dont know about RH7- I won't touch that version with a big
stick).
5- The ReiserFS option was welcomed !!!! :) I use NTFS5 on another machine,
and have grown to appreciate journaling FS's.
6- I was pleasantly suprised at the graphical login. My, how linux has grown
in 4 years. Or maybe I just haven't paid too much attention.... or maybe the
damn planet is revolving faster now.
7- All in all, I give it a thumbs up, even for people installing linux for
the first time. Jeez, the first time I installed linux, I got to the
log-in.. and then.... hmmm.. now what? Silly me, didn't even know about
startx, or even ls!!! :)
Now,.. the real challange.. go through the kernel and try not to break
anything, and get it the way I like it. Along with an extra driver or
two....

I was going to download Debian, but for some reason, the download rate was
just unexcusable. I suppose I'll try again sometime. Peakpeak.com DSL
rocks.. I don't know how I got along without it.

On a side note- I installed FreeBSD a few weeks ago, and really liked the
easy network config/install. THAT was impressive. Nothing really installed,
and already on the network, and downloading extra stuff.

ljp