[lug] SUSE- comments

Michael J. Pedersen marvin at keepthetouch.org
Thu Jan 18 11:45:17 MST 2001

On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 10:19:43AM -0700, celttechie (Brian Jarrett) wrote:
> That's good to hear.  I've just tried installing Slackware, Mandrake and
> Debian within the last few weeks to see how easy it was to update a few
> things like KDE and XFree86 and also install new apps like Gnucash and (most
> important of all) VMware.  My main problem was with package installers, or
> lack thereof.  I suppose I should really just learn how to install software
> by compiling it myself, but I was hoping to find a distro that did a good
> job of managing packages.

APT, Advanced Packaging Tool, has been ported to use both .rpm and .deb
packages. Translatoin: It's your silver bullet. RedHat will probably pick up
apt by the time they hit 7.2. Connectiva already does it.

Suse also uses .rpm's, as I recall.

> Another good idea would be a package standard among all distros.

There almost is that standard, but it's split between two at this point: .deb
and .rpm. Both are good, I just happen to prefer .deb as I'm using Debian.

The package format itself is not the issue: The package manager is. If you get
one package manager that can handcle all the various formats, and keep
everything correct, then the problem is as good as solved. I think apt is
rapidly becoming just that package manager, if it's not already.

--
Michael J. Pedersen
My GnuPG KeyID: 4E724A60        My Public Key Available At: wwwkeys.pgp.net