[lug] SUSE- comments

ljp ljp at llornkcor.com
Thu Jan 18 13:52:42 MST 2001

I did run into my first glitch with it. Trying to get my parallel port Zip
drive installed, and its been so long since I've had any kind of non working
hardware I have forgotten things, and how to be creative. and don't have
time today to search the internet for answers...

The error message is-
<6>parport0: PC-style at 0x278 (0x678) [SPP,EPP,ECP,ECPEPP,ECPPS2]
<4>parport0: detected irq 5; use procfs to enable interrupt-driven
operation.

hmmm, anybody have more of a clue than I about this? Or how to 'enable
interrupt-driven operation.'?
--------------------------

> Hmm, ReiserFS shouldn't make it take longer -- in fact it should take less
> time.

ahh, ya, I forgot,.. heh.. slower CPU... dangit!! :)
Isn't there a transmorgifier for those yet?
I had one that magically attached to a 286 socket, and produced 486 speeds.

> Once my 20GB drive for my laptop gets back from repair, I'll probably
> build 2.2.18 with Reiser, IPSec, the international kernel patches,
> and the like.  Then set up both my main partitions as Reiser.

Ya, I'm even thinking about skillfully changing my current RedHat machine to
ReiserFS.
And MAYBE, taking down the firewall, and doing it to that.. although, I
wouldn't want to get drastic or anything. Maybe I'll wait till the power
goes out, and an inevitable power down to change hardware, and such on it.
(I've an old IBM monochrome monitor just purrrrrfect for that creature,
seeing as I admin through SSH.)
heh, those gigabyte HDD's come in handy sometimes. I wonder what the heck
I'm going to do with the old 20 and 40 MB HDD's I have from days of yore...
Ashtrays?

> Oh, and comparing a recent SuSE to RedHat 6.0 or below is...an interesting
> choice...  With the exception of Reiser, most of the things you mention
> apply to all the distros these days.

I know.  I started with RedHat 5... ugh that was a mightmare for a first
time install.

> Oh, and on the RedHat 7 sucks front -- I finally ran into my first program
> that had problems with 2.96.  Actually had to go through the effort of
> typing "make CC=kgcc".  ;-)

:) Whatever works for you. I'm glad that it doesn't break too many things.
sounds like the same deal when gcc & egcs were different.

ljp