Rant about Re: [lug] worm article

Tom Tromey tromey at cygnus.com
Thu Jan 18 20:31:51 MST 2001

>>>>> "Scott" == Scott A Herod <herod at interact-tv.com> writes:

Scott> Seriously, I hope that RH ( and the other distributors ) take
Scott> the bad press to heart.  Joe-Six-Pack computer user should not
Scott> have to work hard to change the default installation of his OS
Scott> to close numerous security holes.  Instead of everything on by
Scott> default, the distro's should turn everything off by default.
Scott> For example, why are the nfs utilities on by default in RH 6.2?

I don't know the answer to your question.  But I've been asking
internally about the various bad press items I've seen lately (since,
honestly, they worry me).  I'm told that Red Hat 7 ships with fewer
things enabled, and that in the current beta almost everything except
sshd is disabled by default.  So I'd say in this particular case the
problem has been addressed.

Tom